Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Space Between Mars And Venus


We lost contact in space as soon as we chased
the stars that we gazed. Berna, call me "astrologist"
–I'd trace your figure a constellation a page
How could I replace these memories I couldn't erase?
I told you a thousand times, "If there's a will, there's a way"
Even if it's across the Milky Way, even if it's through the flames
I'd ride a rocket ship, and I wouldn’t give a fuck if it combusts
Let the metals rust like how love turns to lust, but just because
you said our situation's complicated, doesn't mean we have to give up
We wrote each other letters, chatted for hours online,
and when we're not preoccupied, we have each other in mind
Then, we called each other even if every minute costs a bunch,
but words alone aren't enough; that's why I rather keep in touch
physically rather than just verbally. I wish you’re here next to me,
living in Raleigh, but don’t worry, this is not the finale

It’s more like the middle; we’re wandering on the edge of a cliff
while figuring out the riddle: why revenge is a gift
Yea, we tried to get back at each other with bullshit we don’t need
Nathaniel Hawthorne said “Selfishness inspires love”,
Then I must be motivated by greed
The stakes are high; we’re gambling hopes on the table,
The limit is the sky even if the weather’s unstable
Ebay those lies twice, thrice, even if we have nothing in Paypal
The distance between Vegas and Pilipinas
feels as far as the space between Mars and Venus
Shooting stars like revolver bullets fly so fast we often forget
that our relationship is like a Russian Roulette
We spin the cylinder, pull the trigger, or bet
and then we grab what we could get

But what else could we hold onto?
This old treasure we call "childhood"?
But what about high school, college –those days without you?
Could we just recycle every minute, and call it "Brand new"?
This piece of paper would just be a piece of shit without sentimental value
We're like scratched-up platinum albums, playing sweet music, but we skip
so we either turn the volume down, break the speakers, or flip
Moods changed from honey moon to eclipse
I'm not a werewolf, a vampire, or a captain of pirate ships
I'm just a human with a dark side, craving for your siren lips

(2010- F.J. Bayog)

No comments:

Post a Comment